Australia’s Seven Network has defended airing exclusive footage it obtained of Olympian and double amputee, Oscar Pistorius, re-enacting how he shot model Reeva Steenkamp and his actions in the minutes after the Valentine’s Day 2013 incident. A lawyer on behalf of Pistorius on Monday attacked the network for its broadcast.
Seven’s Sunday Night current affairs program aired the footage that had been prepared for Pistorius’ defense team by U.S.-based forensic animation experts, the Evidence Room. However, the video has not been used in court. Pistorius is currently on trial in South Africa for Steenkamps’ pre-meditated murder.
Brian Webber, a lawyer for Pistorius, said the footage had been obtained illegally, while some legal experts believe it could cause a mistrial. Webber said in a statement the video was “obtained illegally and in breach of the non-disclosure agreement with the Evidence Room.” “Channel Seven purchased this footage unlawfully,” said Webber, adding that the broadcaster had agreed not to air the material until the end of the trial.
“Whilst we cannot imagine how any of the footage would not support Oscar’s version, we will only be in a position to comment further once we have had the opportunity to study what has been aired.” In a statement given to THR, Sunday Night executive producer Mark Llewellyn said the video would not have been shown if the channel had thought it was obtained unlawfully.
For the full article visit TheHollywoodReporter